Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Birthday

A week ago today was my first birthday in South America. It made me happy and I felt very appreciated.

I woke up around 6:00 as usual and was out in the kitchen by about 6:25. I guess my family wanted to give me my presents quickly before work started so they all wished me a happy birthday and did the double kiss thing, except my dad, because guys dont kiss guys here, which is nice. Then I opened my presents.

The week before my birthday my sister asked me what gifts I wanted for my birthday and what I wanted to do. I just said that I wanted a Paraguayan birthday with Paraguayan gifts, and that is exactly what I got. I received two very nice shirts with references to Paraguay and Tereré, which I cant wait to wear around when I get home, a water bottle type thing that is made from unborn calf hide (if I understood correctly) and a very nice tereré thermos, which is one thing that I wasn't going to leave Paraguay without first buying. I really enjoy the thermos, especially since it has my name and "Paraguay" burned into the leather on the top.

At work, during lunch, we also had a little party with a cake and everything. When I got home from work the rest of "team paraguay" was waiting for me (my second birthday in a row with a surprise party!). With time more and more people started coming until there were about 20 people at my house. Several of them gave me gifts and all of them made sure to wish me a happy birthday and do the double kiss or handshake deal.

It was very nice to have my closest friends and family with me on the day of my nineteenth birthday. I felt very appreciated and was surprised that so many people ended up coming to my party. I hope that from every birthday from here on out I will always be able to remember my birthday in Paraguay. I wonder if this will be my last birthday in South America...

On a side note, Tuesday was my sisters birthday and I was awakened at about 1:30 in the morning to a mariachi band playing outside of her window that my sister had hired. Very fun!

1 comment:

  1. are you bummed you didn't get a mariachi band?! in guate they put firecrackers outside of your window around 4 or 5 to wake you up! i can't wait to see you in a few months. i'm mailing your package tomorrow...they say 6 days, so maybe in 2 weeks?! let me know when you get it! :) Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete